Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Missing "My Boys"

Yesterday was a busy day helping a certain Englishman pack 120 pounds of luggage to take to our new apartment.  He also was busy getting renter's insurance, setting up online pay for our mortgage, and also trying to work.  I haven't been too emotional about him leaving or even us moving to New York.  Mainly because we are keeping our home and plan on going back and forth between Utah and NYC.  Plus with helping our son move into his home and our daughter start college, I haven't thought too much about the implications of the move.

That is until a certain Englishman made an innocent comment.

During all the busyness, he mentioned that he wasn't going to have the internet and TV turned on until he got there.

"TV?" I asked.

"Yes, I thought we'd include cable with the internet."

I was surprised to hear this.  We turned off our cable in 1993 and haven't missed it.  For years we took pride in the fact that we were out of touch with popular television shows.  Then Hulu and Netflix happened; now we are only 24 hours behind on television, and about 9 months behind on movies.

"Why do you want to get cable?"

"So we can watch BYU basketball."

And then it hit me.  All at once.  Like a ton of bricks.

I WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE MY BOYS PLAY BASKETBALL AT THE MARRIOTT CENTER!



No more cougar tails at half time.






No more long visits with our friends after the game while their kids run around the stadium. (Literally.  They ran around the entire stadium while we timed them so we could get more visiting in.)

No more silly trivia games during the media time outs.

No more dancing to the music as the team is introduced.



And that was when I lost it.  I mean really lost it.  I started to sob.

"What's wrong?" asked a certain Englishman.

"I... won't... be... able... to... see... Elijah... Bryant...play... "

"Who?"

"He...transferred...from...Elon!"  I mumbled in between sobs.




"Huh?"

"I'm going to miss the Blue and White scrimmage!" I yelled.

He just started to laugh.

"I don't think I can do this," I cried.  "I'm going to miss 'my boys' too much."

A certain Englishman laughed harder.

I continued to cry.

He walked over to me and held me in his arms while I kept crying.  Finally I was able to speak again.

"Can we buy some tickets when we come back to visit in November?"

He just looked down at me and gave me a tight hug.

I hope that was a yes.


*********************************
To read how we found our apartment, click here.


2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, it's always the little things we miss the most. I won't miss YOU as much as the great way you laugh at whatever silly thing my kids did that week, or the guilty look in my husband's face when hr skipped priesthood meeting to chat in the library or...shoot, I'm missing you already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go to some Columbia games.

    ReplyDelete