Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2016

Moving Day Pt. 2: Reunited with a certain Englishman


A certain Englishman moved to New York City a couple weeks ago.  


You can read about that day by clicking here.

On Saturday, Johnny and I joined him.  

The past two weeks have been spent, packing, cleaning, ordering furnishings online, and saying goodbye to friends.  

Finally moving day arrived.  I decided to bring my world traveler, my Jane Austen action figure.  

Also my favorite paper weight from a dear friend. 
We boarded the plane and I settled in to read the book I'm currently reading, Primates of Park Avenue, but the people behind me were really loud.  I decided to listen to music instead.  

My plane ticket was less than a seat at the theater.  
I discovered that the Hamilton soundtrack was available.  Both CDs took most of my flight to listen to.  It was a good flight.  


We met a certain Englishman at the airport and grabbed a taxi because I didn't want to have to wait for a car.  



As we got closer to Manhattan, the skyline appeared. 


This reminded me of when I visited New York City 9 years ago.  As we took the airport shuttle back to JFK, I turned around and saw the skyline through the window.  I started to cry, I knew this was where I was supposed to live, but I knew I never would.  

Thankfully, I was wrong.

We arrived at our building and unloaded the taxi.


I was surprised that the driver didn't make a comment about how heavy and large our luggage was.  My guess is, he didn't care.  



A certain Englishman introduced us to our friendly doormen, and took us to our apartment. 


Where we dropped off our luggage and promptly left.

You see, Johnny had to be at the LDS Stake Center at 7:00 p.m, and we were already late.  It was the Seminary Kick-off party a chance for Johnny to meet the other LDS teenagers living in Manhattan. 

So we got our Metro cards refilled 


and went to the LDS Stake Center.  We stayed to make sure that Johnny knew where to go and would be taken care of.  

We met a wonderful couple who had just moved to NYC three weeks ago.  

Well sort of.  

A couple of years ago, they moved to NYC with 6 of their 12 children as what they called "a dry run."  They kept their house in Utah and rented an apartment with the intent to move back eventually.  His project ended 9 months later and they returned back to home.  

Only to discover that they didn't like their home in Utah anymore.  It was too big, and too far away from people.  So they sold it, got rid of most of their stuff and came back to NYC where they are happier.  

"I wonder if that will happen to us," I thought. 

After exchanging numbers with the couple, we went to check on Johnny.  He was surrounded by a large group of teenagers, we knew he was in good hands.  I was starving, so we went to our favorite pizza place, called Little Italy, which was close by. 


Then we stopped at Trader Joe's for some groceries. 


I love how their dairy section is called "Moo" York City.  

Are you wondering why we shopped at the expensive Trader Joe's?  Well, two words.  Nationally priced.  Meaning it's not expensive at all in NYC.  

This Trader Joe's has all the same food and prices as the one near you.  With maybe one exception.  


Over 30 registers and a person who stands at the front of the line letting your knew which register is yours.  

When we got home I told a certain Englishman to relax and watch some football.  He has been working so hard these last two weeks that he's lost quite a bit of weight and now has a cold.  I unboxed and put away many of the deliveries.  I worked until 2 in the morning, or what my body thinks is midnight.  

Johnny got home on his own after hanging out at the Stake President's home with a bunch of boys to watch the BYU football game after the Seminary dance.  He fell into bed and promptly fell asleep.  

I'd say moving day was a great success.  

No comments:

Post a Comment