Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2016

"God Be With You": Saying Goodbye to Temple Square

"God be with you till we meet again."
~Jeremiah E. Rankin

When I first moved to Utah over 16 years ago, I promised myself I would take advantage of living so close to Temple Square.  

And I have.  

I can't count how many events I've attended at the Conference Center, Tabernacle, Assembly Hall, and the Delta Energy Solutions Vivint Smart Home Your Ad Space Here Center.


I've gone to the musical production of Savior of World multiple times.  


I saw Light of the World, a special production for the 2002 Olympics.  




I've seen the Utah Jazz play from the hospitality suite.

Honestly, we didn't catch much of the game.

I have listened to the Christus recording in Romanian, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish so my guests would understand it.  


I've attended several weddings and sealings at the Salt Lake City Temple, which is where I was married.  


I presented information to LDS Church employees at the Church Office Building. And got lost in the parking garage afterward! 



I have a frequent diner card for the Lion House and have even eaten lunch in the room where Brigham Young organized the Young Women program.  



I have celebrated my anniversary at the Roof even when we had very little money. 


I have spent hours researching my ancestors in the Family History Library.



I visited my ancestor's ironing board on display at the Church History Museum.
It's no longer there!  I didn't take it, I promise. 

I have peeked inside the cabin where my ancestor, Christopher Riding lived which is sandwiched between the two buildings.  



The last time I went shopping with my mom before she died was at City Creek.


I know the best parking spots and the shortcuts to avoid tourists. 

I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Temple Square.  It's like a second home. 


Yesterday, the kids and I went to the Conference Center to attend the live broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word.  



Of all the events at Temple Square, Music and the Spoken Word is my absolute favorite.  There is a special feeling connected with that show.
Did you know Music and Spoken Word is 88 years old?  Most people who are alive have only known a world with Music and the Spoken Word in it.  



Just before the show ended, I started to get melancholy.  I realized that I wouldn't be able to come to Temple Square whenever I want.  Instead of a 35-minute drive, it will now be a 5-hour plane ride.


One of the reasons why I like to attend the broadcast live is because they always do something that you don't get to see on TV or hear on the radio.  After the cameras turn off, they sing a song to the audience.

They always sing the same song, "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."  I knew the song was coming, but it wasn't until they actually started to sing the words that I started to cry.  

I know that no one who was singing that song knew that I had been there several times and that this was going to be my last for a long time.  But in a weird way, they did know.  I felt like they knew my sadness and were trying to comfort me.  It's as if they were saying, 

"God will be with you in NYC.  Don't worry, we'll meet again."

Never has that sweet hymn had so much meaning for me.  


  1. God be with you till we meet again;
    By his counsels guide, uphold you;
    With his sheep securely fold you.
    God be with you till we meet again.
  2. (Chorus)
    Till we meet, till we meet,
    Till we meet at Jesus' feet,
    Till we meet, till we meet,
    God be with you till we meet again.
  3. 2. God be with you till we meet again;
    When life's perils thick confound you,
    Put his arms unfailing round you.
    God be with you till we meet again.
  4. 3. God be with you till we meet again;
    Keep love's banner floating o'er you;
    Smite death's threat'ning wave before you.
    God be with you till we meet again.
If you ever have a chance to go to Salt Lake City, visit Temple Square.  If you have a long layover, they even have a free shuttle for you.



And if you do, will you tell it "Hi" for me?  



1 comment:

  1. Love it. Good luck in the Big Apple. I will look forward to these blog posts. As you probably know, our oldest son is an actor and lives in New York. I'll let you know the next times he performs in the city.

    ReplyDelete